I mean, I guess it makes sense: The kind of person who violently claws and maims one's way to evil autocracy is likely the kind of person who can get themselves published.
And by "published," I mean, write a really terrible book and get it printed. Name a despot, and dude's got a book. A bad one.
- Muammar al-Gaddafi - Hallucinogenic stream of consciousness
- Saddam Hussein - erotic allegorical fiction
- Kim Jong Il - revolutionary film criticism
- Joseph Stalin - Georgian pastoral odes
- Ayatollah Khomeini - Persian mystical poetry
And the list goes on and on. Weird, right?Suzanne Merkelson has assembled a fascinating roundup for ForeignPolicy.com. "From suicidal astronauts to bestiality, you can learn a lot about what makes the world's worst tyrants tick from the terrible books they write."
Bad Politics, Worse Prose [ForeignPolicy.com]