With grilling season in full force, I thought it was time to expand a bit from my well-used staple tomato/vinegar/brown-sugar BBQ sauce.
With a list like this, there's no reason to be grilling with a store-bought sauce. Most will take about an hour total to make, and it will last for a few weeks in the refrigerator. So take the time to make something special and you'll be set for a great time behind the grill.1. Sriracha Bourbon Barbecue Sauce - There are plenty of reasons to love the ubiquitous Sriracha, and here's another one. Combine bourbon's hearty sweetness with a heathy portion of spice for something you can mix with ribs, pulled pork, or even slathered on a side of chicken.
2. Alabama White BBQ Sauce - Not the typical sauce, but if you're looking for something a bit more creamy, this may be your pick. The sauce has a helping of vinegar and horseradish so expect a bit of tang and spice mixed in.
4. Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce - It may be just me, but I think mustard improved just about anything. Take a healthy dose of mustard and add in some sweet, spice, and a bit of Worchestershire sauce for something off the traditional path but still bound to be amazing.
6. Fireball Apple Butter BBQ Sauce - Apple Butter adds the sweetness and the kick of cinnamon fireball for a sauce that will keep up the kick right through to a nightcap around the fire-pit.
7. Blueberry BBQ Sauce - For a full-on kick of sweet, this blueberry sauce still has the spice to hold up well on your grilled meats. I love to color this adds to the meal, and with a hearty consistency, it will coat the meat well when the heat turns up.
8. Sweet and Spicy Jalapeño BBQ Sauce - Rounding out this list is a solid twist on the classic BBQ staple. Adding in some smoked Jalapeño gives it a toasty heat that compliments thick cuts.
So, now you have no excuse to forego the handcrafted sauce, so go ahead and whip one up with weekend.