No matter which team you rooting for this weekend, or whether you care about football or the Super Bowl at all, I think we can all agree on one thing: nacho are amazing. They get our vote for the ultimate TV-centric party food; whether watching the game or French La Nouvelle Vague cinema, they beat out wings (but just by a hair), cause you can do most of the prep work ahead of time, and they don't involve big, messy pots of scalding hot oil while trying to cook for a crowd. Deep-frying doesn't mix with beer consumption very well, either...Therefore! Nachos. Make some this weekend, to enjoy while cheering on the Seahawks (that'll be me), the Pats, or the hero of whatever Netflix series you're binging on.
1) The team at Bon Appetit offer their seven great commandments of making amazing nachos, exploring everything from chip selection to topping distribution and easy clean-up (pictured at top). Their go-to recipe (referenced in the technique article) can be found here: Nachos with all the Fixings
2) Saveur magazine, on the other hand, seeks nacho nirvana by claiming "The Best Homemade Nachos are All About the Sauce." And from the looks of that photo, I think they're probably right.
3) Serious Eats author Daniel Gritzer breaks down the proper technique for The Ultimate Fully Loaded Nachos into each step, building the right base, and finishing with magic that puts flavor in every bite.
4) Beer Braised Slow Cooker Carne Asada Nachos - Cook your steak on Saturday, add toppings on Sunday, and enjoy!
5) Chorizo Nachos with White Queso Sauce from the Kitchn - this is what Tex-Mex is all about.
Oh, and if you're more of a "just the chips and cheese, please" kinda dude, check out the Ultimate Cheese Sauce recipe by J. Kenji López-Alt: