Some days are everyday cocktail days. Straightforward, two or three ingredient drinks that taste great and require little prep work.
But some days are special cocktail days… Days where a little extra effort makes for all the difference. Days like Fourth of July on a Friday that happens to make for three-day weekend. Which is totally happening this year.
For that very occasion, Maker’s Mark® decided to step it up a bit and create the The All-American, a boozy, bacon and bourbon number crafted using bacon-infused Maker’s Mark® and is the perfect way to pay tribute to US Independence Day, and they’re sharing their recipe with the ManMade readers.
The process begins with a few strips of bacon, which is enough to infuse an entire bottle of bourbon.
- Cook 3-4 strips of thick bacon, enough to yield 1 ounce of fat (eat the bacon after!)
- Once bacon fat has cooled to room temperature, pour in to a storage container
- Add 750mL Maker’s Mark® Bourbon, cover and freeze overnight
- Using a fine mesh sieve, strain bourbon in to a new container removing large bits of bacon
- Lastly, double strain your bourbon back in to the bottle. Enjoy!
Then, you can use it in any bourbon cocktail that can benefit from a savory punch, like an Old Fashioned or Sazerac.
But for this Independence Day, Niccole Trzaska of The Liberty Bar, NYC crafted up this recipe:
The All American
Niccole Trzaska, The Liberty Bar, NYC
- 1 ½ parts bacon infused Maker’s Mark® Bourbon
- ¼ part Crown Maple Syrup
- 3-4 dashes Angostura Bitters
- Strip of cooked bacon for garnish
In a rocks glass stir bitters and Crown Maple, top with bacon infused bourbon. Add ice and garnish with a strip of cooked bacon.
Enjoy, and Happy Independence Day!
[Note: this is not a sponsored post. I though the recipe sounded fun, and I’ll think I’ll try it soon. I thought you might like it, too.] All photos: Phillip Romano.