Five Ways to Open a Beer Bottle without a Bottle Opener
Whether you’re stuck without the appropriate tools, or just want an opportunity to show off some cool parlor tricks, there are plenty of ways to open a beer or other capped bottle without an manufactured bottle opener. Since we got such a great response for our Five Ways to Open a Wine Bottle Without a Corkscrew, we thought we’d assemble five of these beer bottle tricks.
Oh, and yes, it is possible to do this with your teeth, but please, please don’t. It’s not worth it, and people aren’t really laughing with you…
1. With a lighter. Check out this classic simple machine principle at work from the Wired wiki. Also works with a spoon and other hard plastic items, like a CD case.
2. With a dollar bill. Really? Yep. The trick is in the fold. This video from Chow demonstrates the technique using a full sheet of paper, but it totally works with cash.
3. With a ring. It’s round, and it’s metal, and if you do it right, it’ll look like you used your bare hands. You can also wedge a quarter in your knuckles and use that instead.
4. With another beer. This great trick will always work, until there’s just one left.
5. With a door. Just stick the bottle in the space between the door and the jamb, and twist!